The Office of
Joseph Pell Lombardi, Architect



Profile  


    Residential Conversions & New Buildings



    Conservation Work & Houses



    Homes



    News



    HOMES by Joseph Pell Lombardi




    Contact




Conservation Work & Houses






Houses







Eszterháza Palace
Sopron
Transdanubia, Hungary


Built in the 1760s by Prince Miklós Esterházy, the palace consists of an eleven-bay facade flanked on the park side by two five-bay wings.  Set in an 800 acre park with numerous dependencies including a theater, miniature temples and a Riding Stable.  On behalf of the World Monuments Fund in conjunction with the Hungarian National Board for the Protection of Historic Monuments (OMvH), preparation of an investigation, historical research, drawings and feasibility studies for the conservation and adaptation of Esterháza as a music academy, museum, learning facility for musical related craftsmanship and a hotel for guests of the academy for the European Mozart Academy.

Eszterhaza





Country Life

Eszterhaza Interior

The Colonnade
Manhattan

A contextual row of five new townhouses to be built in a historic district in the lower part of Manhattan                            










                                                                        Street Facade
Street














                                                                      Avenue Facade
Avenue

8 Sniffen Court
Murray Hill
Manhattan

Restoration of a mid-19th century Romanesque Revival Mews house on Sniffen Court, a stable complex perpendicular to East 36th Street. 

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.  


8 Sniffen Court
1960s

1970s

 Jefferson Market
Library

Greenwich Village
Manhattan













Article


New York Times

Restoration and conservation of the exterior of the Jefferson Market Library.  Designed by Calvert Vaux & Frederick Withers in an neo-Venetian Gothic style and constructed in 1874 in an asymmetrical form with polychromatic materials, pinnacles, gables and stained glass windows. The building originally was used as a Courthouse, it was adapted into a library in 1967.The 172-foot pyramidal turret with clocks on all four sides once served as a fire watch tower with an alarm bell. 



Image: © The New York Public Library

Jefferson Market

Chrysler Building
405 Lexington Avenue
Manhattan

Research, investigation and preparation of an Historic Structure Report of the Chrysler Building lobby which determined the original configuration, lighting systems and missing elements as initially designed by William Van Alen in 1928.  The report lead to the designation of the lobby as an individual New York City landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission and averted a proposed modernization.

Research and investigation to determine the original design and layout of the Chrysler Building Observatory with the intent of re-opening it to the public.


Lobby Photo: Tishman Speyer

Chrysler Building Lobby
Article


Chrysler Obsrevatory

130 Liberty Street
Manhattan

130 Liberty Street was a 39 story skyscraper designed by Shreve, Lamb & Harmon and constructed in 1974. The building was heavily damaged during the September 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center. Determination of the current New York City Zoning & Building Code provisions as they relate to the reconstruction, repair and restoration of 130 Liberty Street after September 11, 2001.

130Liberty

14 Wall Street
Manhattan

Adaptation of the 31st floor of 14 Wall Street into the La Tour D'Or restaurant. 14 Wall Street was designed by Trowbridge & Livingston in a classical revival style and constructed in 1912 as the headquarters for the Bankers Trust Company. The stepped pyramid at the top became the logo for Bankers Trust. The 31st floor is surrounded on four sides by terraces.

During the adaptation, Trowbridge & Livingston's plan for the 31st floor were unearthed, The plan, as revised on April 15, 1910, show a large office, an apartment with a living room, two bedrooms and a bath and a further apartment with two bedrooms, a small dining room, a small living room and a large kitchen which may have been a planned executive suite. There have been reports that J. Pierpont Morgan had an apartment on the 31st floor, but the Landmarks Preservation Commission Designation Report states that "J.P. Morgan & Company canceled its plans to move to the 31st floor".

14 Wall




14 Wall Full31st Floor

American Bank Note 
Building
70 Broad Street
   Manhattan










Article

Conservation of the exterior, restoration of the interior and adaptation of  the American Bank Note Company Building into a club/restaurant building.  Designed by Kirby, Petit & Green, Architects in a neo-Classical Style and constructed in 1908 with a granite and smooth ashlar stone facade.  The American Bank Note Company was one of America's most prominent producers of bank notes, stamps, stock certificates and letters of credit.  They reinforced their powerful position to the public by constructing a low-rise building in the skyscraper dominated Financial District.

Advancement of Landmarks Preservation Commission designation and approval of the work.  Preparation of a National Register nomination and research and documentation to enable the Landmarks Conservancy to accept a preservation easement.

70 Broad


View Historic Image

Instant Rehab
533-7 East 5th Street
Manhattan

In conjunction with Conrad Engineers, renovation of three Nineteenth century tenement buildings in the Lower East Side of Manhattan in 48 hours.  A demonstration project funded by the Department of Housing & Urban Development to explore the application of prefabrication technology to deteriorated urban housing to reduce the costs of construction and eliminate relocation costs.  Preassembled bathroom and kitchen units were fabricated on a pier in the East River of Manhattan, trucked to the site and stacked, one on top of another. Prefinished material was placed on scaffolding around the buildings.  The tenants were temporarily housed in hotels and their furnishings placed in vans. Work was performed without interruption. After 48 hours the tenants returned to their completely renovated homes.

Instant Rehab 1

New York Times

Life Magazine
                                                                        Images: © Life MagazineInstant Rehab 2

Schermerhorn Row
   Burling Slip & South Street
   South Street Seaport
   Manhattan








Early Print



1930s

The Schermerhorn Row block was built in 1812 as a single monumental complex of Federal style mercantile buildings.  It is on an entire city block and had a uniform design fronting on four streets; it was New York's earliest and largest entrepreneurial development.
The Schermerhorn Row remains as the largest and best preserved group of buildings of its type and the most intact waterfront structure from the early Republic.  During the past two centuries changes altered the appearance of the unified block including, in 1955, the removal of the corner of Burling Slip and South Street.
In 1992, the Office of Joseph Pell Lombardi, Architect was commissioned by the South Street Seaport Museum and the New York State Maritime Museum to reconstruct the missing corner at Burling Slip and South Street for use as a Center for International Maritime History with an emphasis on early immigration at the Seaport and its link to European and Asian ports.

The project has not yet been realized.

Seaport

130 Beekman Street
Seaport
Manhattan

Stabilization and conservation work on damage incurred October 29, 2012 by Hurricane Sandy at 130 Beekman Street, an assemblage of three early turn of the 19th century masonry mercantile buildings. Erected in 1827, 231 Water Street still features its fluted cast iron columns with palmetta capitals at the ground floor. Its pitched roof, narrow lot and Flemish bond make it a fine example of the Seaport's "counting house" style, which originated in English seaport cities. The buildings were originally occupied by ship chandlers, sail makers and merchants.

130Beekman

45 King Street
   Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a Federal townhouse in the Charlton-King-Vandam Historic District including the garden.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.
45 King Street

One York
1 York Street
TriBeCa
Manhattan

Fit out of a 4,200 s.f. apartment in a new building on the 11th floor overlooking the city. The design combines two apartments into one apartment with north and south terraces and a double height atrium living room.

1 York


1 York Kitchen

National City Bank Building
   415 Broadway
TriBeCa
Manhattan







Conservation of the exterior of a bank building in the TriBeCa East Historic District. Designed by Walker & Gillette, Architects, in a Modernist Style and constructed in 1927 with a limestone facade.  

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval




Photograph by Fischer
415 Broadway
New York Times
Early View

Haughwout Building
490 Broadway
SoHo
Manhattan









New York Times

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval for the 1994 restoration of the exterior of the Haughwout Building, a five story store and loft building in the SoHo District.  Designed by John Gaynor, Architect, in a Venetian neo-Renaissnace Style and constructed in 1857 with cast iron components from Daniel Badger's Architectural Iron Works.

The arched windows, set between fluted Corinthian columns with underlying balustrades are reminiscient of those on Jacopo Sansovino's library on the Piazzetta di San Marco in Venice.    Conservation work included the repair of the cast iron components, replacement of missing elements, reconfiguration, installation of the historic first floor infill in accordance with original drawings and repainting in the historic colors based upon paint analysis.

490Broadway

700 Broadway
NoHo
Manhattan

Designed by George B. Post, Architect, in a Romanesque Revival style and built in 1890 in an Italianate Style with a rough-faced brownstone ashlar base and a brick and brownstone facade with cast iron elements.Preparation of a Historic Structure Report. Board of Standards & Appeals approval. 

Early View
700Bway

18 West 10th Street
Greenwich Village
Manhattan

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report. Conservation of the exterior and restoration, in conjunction with the decorator Robert Couturier, of the interiors of a two family townhouse back to its original one family configuration. Built in 1855 in an Italianate Style with a brick and brownstone facade, the townhouse is in the Greenwich Village Historic District. 

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.
18 West 10th Street

434 Hudson Street
Greenwich Village
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a house in the Greenwich Village Historic District. Part of a row of six brick houses, each four stories high and constructed in 1847 in a vernacular version of the late Greek Revival Style. 434 Hudson Street maintains its original storefront.  

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

434 Hudson

451 Hudson Street
Greenwich Village
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interiors of an 1827 Federal Townhouse with a Greek Revival addition in the Greenwich Village Historic District.  

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

451 Hudson

304 Bleecker Street
Greenwich Village
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior, addition of a set back penthouse addition, restoration of the storefronts, removal of the fire escape and upgrading of the residential units of a four story dwelling in the Greenwich Village Historic District. Built in 1829 as part of a row of four three-story dwellings with ground floor stores, the fourth floor was added in the late nineteenth century.

Landmarks Preservation Commission.
304 Bleecker

22 Greenwich Avenue
Greenwich Village
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and conversion of the interior of a three story commercial building in the Greenwich Village Historic District into a one family home and store. Built in 1839 and remodeled at the beginning of the 20th century into its present appearance. 

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

22 Greenwich

23 8th Avenue
Greenwich Village
Manhattan

Restoration of the interiors and the addition of a set back fourth floor of a three-story townhouse in the Greenwich Village Historic District.  Designed in a Transitional Style between the Federal and Greek Revival Styles, it was constructed in 1840 with a brick facade as a part of a row of townhouses.

23.8thAve

22 West 12th Street
Greenwich Village
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interiors of a four-story and basement townhouse in the Greenwich Village Historic District.  Designed in a Transitional Style between the Greek Revival and Italianate Styles, it was constructed in 1846 with a brownstone facade as a part of a pair of townhouses which included 20 West 12th Street.

22w12

232 West 15th Street

Chelsea
Manhattan

















Conservation of the exterior and renovation of the interior of a Greek Revival townhouse in Chelsea including the installation of a 26' long by 8 foot deep swimming pool in the Basement level with a two story high ceiling.

232 w 15

129 East 17th Street

Gramercy Park
Manhattan
















New York Times

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of five-story apartment house in the Gramercy Park Historic District.  Designed by Napolean LeBrun, Architect, in a French Gothic Style and constructed in 1879 with a red brick and brownstone facade, it is the oldest apartment house in New York.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval. 

129 East 17th Street

DeGrove House
149-51 East 18th Street

Gramercy Park
Manhattan














New York Times

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of two four-story townhouses in the Gramercy Park Historic District.  Designed by in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1892 with a brownstone facade.

Landmarks Preservation Commission and Historic Investment Tax Credit approvals. 

149-51 East 18th Street

237-249 East 32nd Street
Kips Bay
Manhattan

Restoration and conservation of seven Greek Revival Style townhouses constructed in the 1870s including interiors, exteriors and gardens.

237-249 east 32nd

105 East 35th Street
Murray Hill
Manhattan

Conservation of the eclectic 1938 facade and restoration of the interior of a four-story townhouse in the Murray Hill Historic District. Built by Samuel W. Cronk in an Italianate Style and constructed in 1853 with a brownstone facade and an English basement plan as part of a row of four houses at 105 to 111 East 35th Street. It was altered in 1938  with the addition of keystones at the basement level and statuary and carved panels on the upper part of the facade. 

105 East 35

Mary Todd Lincoln House
122 East 38th Street
Murray Hill
Manhattan

Restoration and conservation, including obtaining a zoning variance from the Board of Standards & Appeals, of the Mary Lincoln Isham House, a Georgian Revival brick with stone trim townhouse.  Designed by Ralph S. Townsend, Architect, and constructed in 1902.  Purchased in 1906 by Charles and Mary Lincoln Isham.  Mary Lincoln Isham was the granddaughter of Abraham Lincoln and daughter of Robert Todd Lincoln, the only adult son of Abraham Lincoln and Secretary of War under President Garfield.

122 East 38th Street

12-16 East 62nd Street
Manhattan









Article

Restoration and conservation of the exteriors and interiors of three six-story townhouses in the Upper East Side Historic District including the addition of set-back penthouses at #12 & #16. Originally designed by Breen & Nason, Architects, as a row of eight townhouses in a neo-Renaissance Style and constructed in 1879 with brownstone facades.  Completely reconfigured in 1916 by Harry Allen Jacobs, Architect, in a neo-French Classic style with limestone facades. 

Landmarks Preservation Commission  approval and  Historic Investment Tax Credit.

Photograph1940s
Historic Photograph courtesy on the City of New York
 12-16 East 62

18 East 62nd Street
Manhattan










Article

Restoration and conservation of the exterior and interior of a five-story townhouse in the Upper East Side Historic District. Originally designed by Breen & Nason, Architects, as a row of eight townhouses in a neo-Renaissance Style and constructed in 1879 with a brownstone facade. The lower three floors were reconfigured in 1903 by Henry Pelton, Architect, with the addition of a loggia with Doric columns and a iron railing on the third floor.  

Landmarks Preservation Commission  approval and  Historic Investment Tax Credit.

Photograph1940s
Historic Photograph courtesy of the City of New York
18 East 62nd Street

The Eldorado Lobby
300 Central Park West
Manhattan




New York Times

The Eldorado was designed by Emery Roth in an Art Deco Style and constructed in 1931.

Historical and archaeological investigation followed by a conservation of the finishes of the Eldorado lobby.

ElDorado

6 Henderson Place
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interiors of a Queen Anne Style townhouse in the Henderson Place Historic District. Designed by Lamb & Rich, Architects, and built in 1881. Henderson Place consists of quaint townhouses designed with characteristics of the Elizabethan manor house combined with Flemish and classic detail, built at one time and retaining much of their picturesque charm and original character of the eighteen-eighties. 6 Henderson Street is located at the corner of the mews street.  

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.
Henderson Place

Cartier
653 Fifth Avenue
Manhattan

Preparation of an analysis, drawings and specifications for the reinstatement of the principal rooms as they existed in the first part of the 20th century.  Designed by Robert W. Gibson and C.P.H. Gilbert. Architects, in a neo-Renaissance Style and built in 1905 with a marble and stone facade for Morton Freeman Plant.  The house was bought by Cartier in 1917. William Welles Bosworth, Architect, reconfigured the interior and  installed paneled selling rooms on the first and second floors.

Cartier



Cartier Interior

121 East 65th Street
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a four-story townhouse in the Upper East Side Historic District. Designed by Welles Bosworth & E.E. Piderson, Architects, in a neo-Federal Style and constructed in 1922 in brick with stone trim.    

 east 65th


The Power Station
441 West 53rd Street
Manhattan

Conversion of a Consolidated Edison Power Station into a recording studio complex including the installation of wood-lined acoustical recording studios.

Power Station

Article
Interior image © Avatar Studios Power Station Interior

24 West 70th Street
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a four-story townhouse in the Upper West Side Historic District.  Designed by Thom & Wilson, Architects, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1892 with a brownstone facade as part of a row of four townhouses

 24w70


314 West 71st Street
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a three-story and basement townhouse in the West 71st Street Historic District on a cul-de-sac.  Designed by John C. Burne, Architect, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1893 with an ashlar masonry facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of six townhouses   

 314 west 71st Street


322 West 71st Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a three-story and basement townhouse in the West 71st Street Historic District on a cul-de-sac.  Designed by Arthur J. Horgan, Architect, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1894 with a brownstone facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of three townhouses.

322 west 71

101 Central Park West
Manhattan

Conservation and restoration of a 10 room 1929 apartment for a college president at 101 Central Park West. Designed by Schwartz & Gross in a Neo-Renaissance Style and constructed in 1929.

101 CPW

720 Park Avenue
Manhattan

In conjunction with Mark Hampton, interior decorator, conservation and renovation of a 12 room, full floor, terraced apartment as originally designed by Rosario Candela in 1928.

720 Park

45 East 74th Street
Manhattan



Design and construction of a new four-story and basement townhouse with a set-back fifth floor in the Upper East Side Historic District.  The new town house replaced a 19th century townhouse which had been awkwardly renovated in 1957 including the removal of the 19th century stoop and facade.   
  

45 East 74th Street

45 West 75th Street
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a four-story and basement townhouse in the Upper West Side - Central Park WestHistoric District.  Designed by George M. Walgrove, Architect, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1890 with a brownstone facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of eight townhouses.

45w75

237 East 77th Street
Manhattan

Restoration and installation of new interiors in a 20th century carriage house for the bachelor grandson of the original owner when it was used in conjunction with a large townhouse off Fifth Avenue and subsequent reconfiguration for a noted photographer.

237 East 77th Street

121 & 131 West 78th Street
Upper West Side
Manhattan

Conservation of the exteriors and restoration of the interiors of two three-story and basement townhouses in the Upper West Side Historic District.  Designed by Rafael Gustavino, Architect, in a Moorish Revival Style, inside and out, and constructed in 1885 with brick, stone, terra-cotta and ironwork facades as part of a row of six townhouses.  

west 78th

82 Riverside Drive
Upper West Side
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior, restoration of the interior and conversion back to a one family house of a five-story townhouse in the Riverside Drive-West 80th-81st Street Historic District.  Designed by Clarence True, Architect, in an Elizabethan Renaissance Revival Style, and constructed with a limestone facade in 1897 as part of a row of seven townhouses.  

80 Riverside

American Irish Historical Society
991 Fifth Avenue
Manhattan








Article



Article

Conservation of the exterior, interior and furnishings of the five and one-half story and basement American Irish Historical Society Headquarters including an investigation of the history of the building. 
Designed by Turner and Lillian, Architects, in a Beaux Arts Style and constructed in 1900
with a red brick and limestone trim facade and a slate mansard roof. In 1901, the noted architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler called the house "exemplary". In 1906 the second owner, David Crawford Clark, commissioned Ogden Codman, Jr., the celebrated interior designer, architect and author, to decorate and reconfigure the interiors including the installation of a classically-inspired Entrance Hall and Stair Hall.
Conservation, repair and cleaning of the exterior, finish analysis of the interior and reinstatement of original finishes in the important public rooms, furniture inventory and identification of their origin in relationship to the building and adaptation of secondary areas for the use by the Society. Preparation of an Historic Property Report.
 
The building has been owned by the American Irish Historical Society since 1940.
Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

991 Fifth Ave.

One East End Avenue
Manhattan

Reconstruction of a 1929 ten room apartment after extensive fire damage, Conservation and restoration of the original details. One East End Avenue was designed by Pennington & Lewis and constructed in 1929.

One East End Ave.

140 East 88th Street
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a three-story and basement townhouse in the Upper West Side Historic District. Originally a one family house, conversion from a rooming house to a two family house.  

Designed by Neville & Bagge, Architect, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1894 with a brownstone facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of four townhouses

140W88

151 East 88th Street
Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a three-story and basement townhouse in the Upper West Side Historic District. Originally a one family house, conversion from a rooming house to a two family house.
Designed by McDowell & Henry, Architect, Builders & Developers, in a Renaissance Revival Style with Romanesque Revival elements and constructed in 1890
with a sandstone facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of six townhouses

151W88

336 Central Park West
Manhattan

Conservation and restoration of a 1928 ten room apartment. 336 Central Park West was designed by Schwartz & Gross in an Art Deco Style with Egyptian-inspired elements and constructed in 1928.

336 CPW

46 Sidney Place
Brooklyn Heights

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of an 1842 Federal Style three-story and basement townhouse in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District.

46SidneyPl

42 So. Portland Avenue
Fort Greene, Brooklyn 

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of an 1864 Italianate Style three-story and basement townhouse in the Fort Greene Historic District. Built by Lawrence Kane as part of a row of six townhouses with brownstone facades and ornamentation.  

42SoPortlandSt

68 State Street
Brooklyn Heights

 

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a 19th century three-story and basement townhouse in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District.  

 68 State Street


138 State Street
Brooklyn Heights

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a 19th century three-story and basement one family townhouse in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District.  

138State

20 Willow Street
Brooklyn Heights

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a 19th century three-story and basement townhouse in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District.

20Willow

Bailey Residence
10 St. Nicholas Place
Manhattan

Consultation services for the conservation of the Bailey Residence. Individually designated by the Landmark Preservation Commission, the 1887 Bailey Residence was built in 1887 for James Anthony Bailey, partner in the famed Barnum & Bailey Circus.  This Romanesque Revival house was designed by Samuel B. Reed, Architect.  It is one of the last free standing houses in Manhattan. The remarkably intact exterior and interior are being conserved.

Bailey

 Francis M. Minor
Children's House
Brooklyn Botanical Garden

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Children's House adjacent to the Children's Garden. Designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White in 1917 to serve as an auxiliary building to the Children's Garden, where each child planned, planted, tended and harvested his or her own vegetables in an individual plot. 
Past a wood trellis entry gate, the  building contains a front entry porch, a classroom for rainy day instructions, flower arranging and cooking demonstrations, a tool room for storage of children's tools, a cooking pantry, a locker room and a rear assembly porch.
A typical planting day consisted of the smallest child riding to the Garden House in a wheelbarrow. As the children approached the House, a flag would be raised and the children would enter through the trellis gate and go to their garden plots where they would find their tools laid out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Early View                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Early View

   
FranciMinorHse
FrancisGate

139 Plymouth Street
Brooklyn , New York
Conservation of the entrance and lobby of the four and six story 211,000 square foot E.W. Bliss Company machine works building. Designed by J. Irving Howard and William Tubby and constructed in heavy mill construction in stages from 1879 to 1900 in the DUMBO Historic District of the Brooklyn waterfront.

139 Plymouth Street

30 Washington Street
Brooklyn , New York

Preparation of a National Register application confirming a contributing building and obtaining an Historic Investment Tax Credit for a 90,000sf seven story factory building being converted to residential use in the DUMBO Historic District of the Brooklyn waterfront.

Designed by Benjamin Finkensieper, Architect for Robert Gair, in an American Round Arch style and constructed with a brick  facade with stone lintels and sills, cast-iron tie rods and a pressed metal cornice in 1887.

30 Washington

English neo-Gothic
House
New York

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior, including the reinstatement of the matching carriage house and the Gothic Style library, of an English neo-Gothic house in New York State overlooking the Hudson River.  Constructed in cut granite stone in 1863 for a prominent 19th century industrialist.

 
library

Palazzo Cappello-Memmo
Venice
Italy

Palazzo Cappello-Memmo is on the Greci Canal in Venice. It is an early 16th century Renaissance style Palazzo decorated with Lombardesque details. On behalf of the World Monuments Fund, analysis of  the feasibility of adapting the Palazzo into housing for Venetians in conjunction with a Vivaldi Museum as part of the Church of the Pieta complex.

Cappello-Memmo

Woodcliff
Irvington-on-Hudson
New York

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report for Woodcliff,  a two and one-half story brick neo-Classical house probably built at the end of the 18th century and altered, in 1865, into a Gothic Revival Style.







Early View
Woodcliff

Haldane House
Cold Spring-on-Hudson
New York

 

Conservation of the exterior and interior of the third quarter of the 19th century Haldane House in Cold Spring-on-Hudson, NY as constructed by James H. Haldane.  Haldane was in the iron business with his brother representing the Cold Spring Foundry. 

Haldane House

Ingleside
Dobbs Ferry
New York

For the County of Westchester, historical research and a Historic Structure Report including mechanical and structural analyses and recommendations for stabilization, conservation and continuing maintenance of Ingleside in Dobbs Ferry, New York. Overlooking the Hudson River, it was built in 1854 by Edwin B. Strange, a silk importer. Ingleside was designed in a Gothic Revival style by Alexander Jackson Davis, the pre-eminent American architect of picturesque villas with Gothic revival detailing

Images courtesy of the Metropolitan Museum of Art & Columbia University.

Another Early View
Ingleside

Squire House
(Highland Cottage)

Ossining
New York

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report for the Westchester Preservation League of the picturesque Squire House (Highland Cottage) in Ossining (formerly Sing Sing), NY. Squire House was designed by S. Marvin McCord, Architect in a highly eclectic asymmetrical design with historical allusion to medieval precedents.  Built for Henry J. Baker 1872, it was the first poured-in-place concrete house in Westchester County

 Squire House


The June Farm
North Salem
New York

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report, analysis of the period furnishings and the identification and determination of the location of the outbuildings of the June Farm. Constructed in a Greek Revival style in 1846 by John J. June, a partner in the June, Titus & Angevine Circus.

June Farm

Cudner-Hyatt House
Scarsdale
New York

Conservation of the exterior, interior and adaptation as a museum for the Scarsdale Historical Society of the Cudner-Hyatt House.  The original building was built in 1734 and 1754 and raised to two stories in 1836.

Scarsdale

George C. Gardner House
141 Main Street

Nantucket, MA


New York Times


Preparation of drawings and specifications for the conservation of the exterior and interior of an 1830 Greek Revival house with Federal Style elements on Main Street on Natucket Island.

 141 Main Street


Richard Gardner III House
32 West Chester Street
Nantucket, MA

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report and drawings and processing of a Conservation Easement donation of the Richard Gardner III House, the second or third oldest house in Nantucket including an investigation of the early houses of Nantucket to determine similarities of features for dating purposes.  The house was built between 1722 and 1724 by Richard Garner, Jr. for his son Richard Gardner 3rd, a whaling captain who was lost at sea.

 32 West Chester


Lyndhurst
Tarrytown
New York

Conservation and adaptation of the 1865/1880 Carriage House/Stable Complex into a Visitors Orientation Center, carriage display and catering facility, construction of a new Service Building using precedents found at the Wagon Shed to house the relocated Carpentry Shop and documentation of the free-standing 1894 Bowling Alley and the 1911 Swimming Pool Buildings in a Historic American Buildings Survey format.

Lyndhurst, a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, is a 19th century estate overlooking the Hudson River shaped by the Paulding, Merritt and Gould families, between 1838 and 1961. The main house and the Carriage House Stable were designed by Alexander Jackson Davis, one of America's most influential architects, in a Gothic Style set in picturesque landscape with numerous outbuildings.

Lyndhurst

Mt. Zion Meeting
House

Somers
New York




Interior View

Stabilization, conservation and placement on the National Register of Historic Places of the Mt. Zion Meeting House in Somers, New York. Initially constructed by Micajah Wright, a local carpenter and farmer, in 1794 in a vernacular Federal Style. A second story was added and the building overlaid with Greek Revival Style detailing in the 19th century. A gallery overlooks the pulpit on three sides.
The Mt. Zion Meeting House is the oldest Methodist Meeting House in Westchester County. Its simplicity is reflective of traditional Methodist buildings as mandated by Bishop Francis Asbury who proclaimed, "let all our chapels be built plain and decent, but no more expensive than is absolutely unavoidable". The original setting, on top of a hill surrounded on three sides by gravestones dating back to 1797, is maintained.

MT. Zion

The Stone House
    Hastings-on-Hudson
New York

Conservation, restoration and analysis of the exterior and interior of a Gothic Revival 19th century stone house with sandstone trim overlooking the Hudson River. Built originally for David Dudley Field II, a prominent New York lawyer responsible for the Code of Law for Civil & Criminal Procedure and brother of Cyrus Field, crator of the Atlantic Cable.    

 Aranow House


Glenaylie
&
Pre-Revolutionary War
Farmhouse

Cold Spring
New York

Research and on-site investigation to determine the date, original appearance and configuration of Glenaylie, a 1905 Dutch Revival house and a Pre-Revolutionary War farmhouse on the Hubbard Estate. 

Glenaylie was built in 1905 by Dr. & Mrs. Campbell.

The Pre-Revolutionary War farmhouse was built by a tenant farmer on land leased from Frederick Philipse the owner of a vast manor stretching form Spuyten Duyvil to the Croton River.

Glenaylie


Pre-Revolutionary War farmhouse on the Hubbard Estate

Pre-Revolutionary

Pre-Revolutionary War Sherwood House in Yonkers, NY

Another example of a tenant farmhouse on the Philipse Manor

Sherwood

Beaver Hall
Stuyvesant
New York

Research and on-site investigation to determine the date, original appearance and configuration of a four-over-four Georgian House built on land directly on the Hudson River in 1799 by Henry Van Schaack.  

BeaverHall

The Octagon
Mt. Washington
Maryland

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report for The Octagon in the suburbs of Baltimore, Maryland.

The Octagon was designed in an Italianate Style by Thomas Dixon, Architect in the octagonal shape advocated by Orson Squire Fowler in his book, "The Octagon House, A Home For All". It was built in 1855 and used first as the Mount Washington Female College and subsequently as Mount Saint Agnes Academy.



Current View
MtWashingtonOctagon

Ocean Beach House

Design of an occasional residence directly on the ocean in a tropical climate.Ocean

Lewis H. Latimer House
Flushing
New York




Conservation, restoration and adaptation into a museum of the 1887 Queen Anne style Lewis H. Latimer House for the City of New York.  Former home of the noted African-American inventor, Lewis Howard Latimer and an individually designated landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Lewis Howard Latimer invented an improved production for light bulb filaments and an improved toilet system for railroad cars.  He married Gerald F. Norman, the first black hired as a high school teacher in the New York City public school system.

 Latimer House

Newsday




 

 

 




 

 

All rights reserved, Joseph Pell Lombardi Architect, 2012