Designed by Henry Ives Cobb, Architect in a neo-Gothic Style and
constructed with a terra-cotta facade in 1909, Liberty Tower is one of
the early romantic skyscrapers that changed the skyline of lower
In 1978, the conversion of Liberty Tower introduced residential use
to the Financial District. Joseph Pell Lombardi, as both architect and
investor, designed the interiors, conserved the historic elements, and
converted the building into 89 residential units with retail
stores on the first floor, mezzanine and cellar.
The project was approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission and
the Board of Standards & Appeals. Construction commenced in
1978 and was completed in 1980.