The Ice House
27 North Moore Street, TriBeCa, Manhattan
Conversion to 58 residential lofts and 3 stores of a 10 story, 160,000sf refrigeration building in the TriBeCa West Historic District.
Designed by William H. Birkmire, Architect in a Romanesque Style and built in 1905 with a brick and terra cotta facade with blind windows.
The Ice House was part of a complex of refrigeration buildings used by the dairy business in association with the nearby Washington Market. With the relocation of the Market and freon becoming illegal, the building became redundant.
A ten story interior court was created to bring light and air to the center of the building. The 15,000sf removed floor area was relocated to the roof to create two story penthouses with two-story high living rooms.
Landmarks Preservation Commission and the City Planning Commission approval.