Edath Lei'Israel Anshei Meseritz Synagogue
415 East 6th Street, Manhatttan
Edath Lei’Israel Anshei Meseritz Shul is a 1910 Orthodox synagogue on New York City’s Lower East Side. Built by a congregation established in 1892 consisting of immigrants from Meseritz, Poland, the synagogue has an Italian neo-Renaissance facade designed by Herman Horenburger and executed in limestone. At 22′ wide, the facade is narrow, yet sophisticated, very much in the genre of the “Tenament Synagogues” – narrow synagogues built on the 25′ wide lots of the Lower East Side at the turn of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries.
Now located in the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District, the work consists of the conservation of the exterior, including the stained glass windows, and the adaption of the upper floors as residences with the synagogue remaining on the first floor.