Conservation Work & Houses

europe

Eszterháza Palace
Eszterháza Interior

Eszterháza Palace

Sopron, Transdanubia, Hungary

Built in the 1760s by Prince Miklós Esterházy, the palace consists of an eleven-bay facade flanked on the park side by two five-bay wings. Set in an 800 acre park with numerous dependencies including a theater, miniature temples and a Riding Stable. On behalf of the World Monuments Fund in conjunction with the Hungarian National Board for the Protection of Historic Monuments (OMvH), preparation of an investigation, historical research, drawings and feasibility studies for the conservation and adaptation of Esterháza as a music academy, museum, learning facility for musical related craftsmanship and a hotel for guests of the academy for the European Mozart Academy.

Erdödy-Choron Castle, 1998
interior, 1997

Erdödy-Choron Castle

Jánosháza, Hungary

The land became known as Jánosháza, “the lands of Janos.”

The Erdödy-Choron Castle is one of the few surviving medieval castles in Eastern Europe. It is located in the Transdanubia region of western Hungary near the Austrian border. The castle has a tower surmounted with an onion shaped dome and is encircled by a wet moat.

The eastern wing was constructed at the end of the 15th century. In the early 16th century, Péter Erdödy enhanced the castle with Renaissance details and in 1558 sold it to András Choron, another eminent commander. The castle passed to his son Baron János Choron, who maintained a permanent army. At this time the western wing was added and the height of the tower increased.

In the mid-17th Century, the Choron family sold the castle to Palatine Miklós Illésházy. His daughter richly decorated the rooms of the piano nobile with wall paintings. Following the death of Anna Illésházy Erdödy in 1765, the castle passed to Sándor Erdödy VI, who restored the castle in 1935.

After World War II, the castle, under the Communist regime, became State owned and was used as a school until 1979. Between 1979-86 the Hungarian National Board for the Protection of Monuments (OMvH) performed research and conservation work.

In 1998, the Hungarian government granted the castle and its property to Joseph Pell Lombardi. A complete history of the castle was compiled and the property was stabilized and conserved under the direction of the Budapest office of Joseph Pell Lombardi & Associates, Architects.

In 2008, Joseph Pell Lombardi returned Erdödy-Choron Castle to the Hungarian government.

Palazzo Cappello-Memmo

Palazzo Cappello-Memmo

Venice, Italy

Palazzo Cappello-Memmo is on the Greci Canal in Venice. It is an early 16th century Renaissance style Palazzo decorated with Lombardesque details. On behalf of the World Monuments Fund, analysis of the feasibility of adapting the Palazzo into housing for Venetians in conjunction with a Vivaldi Museum as part of the Church of the Pieta complex.

financial district

130 Liberty Street

130 Liberty Street

Manhattan

130 Liberty Street was a 39 story skyscraper designed by Shreve, Lamb & Harmon and constructed in 1974. The building was heavily damaged during the September 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center. Determination of the current New York City Zoning & Building Code provisions as they relate to the reconstruction, repair and restoration of 130 Liberty Street after September 11, 2001.

  • 130 Liberty Street, Side View
14 Wall Street
14 Wall Street Plans

14 Wall Street

Manhattan

Adaptation of the 31st floor of 14 Wall Street into the La Tour D’Or restaurant. 14 Wall Street was designed by Trowbridge & Livingston in a classical revival style and constructed in 1912 as the headquarters for the Bankers Trust Company. The stepped pyramid at the top became the logo for Bankers Trust. The 31st floor is surrounded on four sides by terraces.

During the adaptation, Trowbridge & Livingston’s plan for the 31st floor were unearthed, The plan, as revised on April 15, 1910, show a large office, an apartment with a living room, two bedrooms and a bath and a further apartment with two bedrooms, a small dining room, a small living room and a large kitchen which may have been a planned executive suite. There have been reports that J. Pierpont Morgan had an apartment on the 31st floor, but the Landmarks Preservation Commission Designation Report states that “J.P. Morgan & Company canceled its plans to move to the 31st floor.”

  • full view
American Bank Note Building

American Bank Note Building

70 Broad Street, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior, restoration of the interior and adaptation of the American Bank Note Company Building into a club/restaurant building. Designed by Kirby, Petit & Green, Architects in a neo-Classical Style and constructed in 1908 with a granite and smooth ashlar stone facade. The American Bank Note Company was one of America’s most prominent producers of bank notes, stamps, stock certificates and letters of credit. They reinforced their powerful position to the public by constructing a low-rise building in the skyscraper dominated Financial District.

Advancement of Landmarks Preservation Commission designation and approval of the work. Preparation of a National Register nomination and research and documentation to enable the Landmarks Conservancy to accept a preservation easement.

seaport

Schermerhorn Row

Schermerhorn Row

Burling Slip & South Street, South Street Seaport, Manhattan

The Schermerhorn Row block was built in 1812 as a single monumental complex of Federal style mercantile buildings. It is on an entire city block and had a uniform design fronting on four streets; it was New York’s earliest and largest entrepreneurial development.

The Schermerhorn Row remains as the largest and best preserved group of buildings of its type and the most intact waterfront structure from the early Republic. During the past two centuries changes altered the appearance of the unified block including, in 1955, the removal of the corner of Burling Slip and South Street.

In 1992, the Office of Joseph Pell Lombardi, Architect was commissioned by the South Street Seaport Museum and the New York State Maritime Museum to reconstruct the missing corner at Burling Slip and South Street for use as a Center for International Maritime History with an emphasis on early immigration at the Seaport and its link to European and Asian ports.

The project has not yet been realized.

  • One of the earliest views
  • 1930s View
130 Beekman Street

130 Beekman Street

Seaport, Manhattan

Stabilization and conservation work on damage incurred October 29, 2012 by Hurricane Sandy at 130 Beekman Street, an assemblage of three early turn of the 19th century masonry mercantile buildings. Erected in 1827, 231 Water Street still features its fluted cast iron columns with palmetta capitals at the ground floor. Its pitched roof, narrow lot and Flemish bond make it a fine example of the Seaport’s “counting house” style, which originated in English seaport cities. The buildings were originally occupied by ship chandlers, sail makers and merchants.

tribeca

One York
One York Kitchen

One York

1 York Street, TriBeCa, Manhattan

Fit out of a 4,200sf apartment in a new building on the 11th floor overlooking the city. The design combines two apartments into one apartment with north and south terraces and a double height atrium living room.

National City Bank Building - Photograph by Fischer

National City Bank Building

415 Broadway, TriBeCa, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior of a bank building in the TriBeCa East Historic District. Designed by Walker & Gillette, Architects, in a Modernist Style and constructed in 1927 with a limestone facade.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

soho

Haughwout Building

Haughwout Building

490 Broadway, SoHo, Manhattan

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval for the 1994 restoration of the exterior of the Haughwout Building, a five story store and loft building in the SoHo District. Designed by John Gaynor, Architect, in a Venetian neo-Renaissnace Style and constructed in 1857 with cast iron components from Daniel Badger’s Architectural Iron Works.

The arched windows, set between fluted Corinthian columns with underlying balustrades are reminiscient of those on Jacopo Sansovino’s library on the Piazzetta di San Marco in Venice. Conservation work included the repair of the cast iron components, replacement of missing elements, reconfiguration, installation of the historic first floor infill in accordance with original drawings and repainting in the historic colors based upon paint analysis.

noho

700 Broadway

700 Broadway

NoHo, Manhattan

Designed by George B. Post, Architect, in a Romanesque Revival style and built in 1890 in an Italianate Style with a rough-faced brownstone ashlar base and a brick and brownstone facade with cast iron elements.Preparation of a Historic Structure Report. Board of Standards & Appeals approval.

  • 1970s View

murray hill

8 Sniffen Court

8 Sniffen Court

Murray Hill, Manhattan

Restoration of a mid-19th century Romanesque Revival Mews house on Sniffen Court, a stable complex perpendicular to East 36th Street.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

  • 1960s View
  • 1970s View
105 East 35th Street

105 East 35th Street

Murray Hill, Manhattan

Conservation of the eclectic 1938 facade and restoration of the interior of a four-story townhouse in the Murray Hill Historic District. Built by Samuel W. Cronk in an Italianate Style and constructed in 1853 with a brownstone facade and an English basement plan as part of a row of four houses at 105 to 111 East 35th Street. It was altered in 1938 with the addition of keystones at the basement level and statuary and carved panels on the upper part of the facade.

Mary Todd Lincoln House

Mary Todd Lincoln House

122 East 38th Street, Murray Hill, Manhattan

Restoration and conservation, including obtaining a zoning variance from the Board of Standards & Appeals, of the Mary Lincoln Isham House, a Georgian Revival brick with stone trim townhouse. Designed by Ralph S. Townsend, Architect, and constructed in 1902. Purchased in 1906 by Charles and Mary Lincoln Isham. Mary Lincoln Isham was the granddaughter of Abraham Lincoln and daughter of Robert Todd Lincoln, the only adult son of Abraham Lincoln and Secretary of War under President Garfield.

greenwich village / lower east side / chelsea

Street Facade
Avenue Facade

The Colonnade

Manhattan

A contextual row of five new townhouses to be built in a historic district in the lower part of Manhattan

Jefferson Market Library / © New York Public Library

Jefferson Market Library

Greenwich Village, Manhattan

Restoration and conservation of the exterior of the Jefferson Market Library. Designed by Calvert Vaux & Frederick Withers in an neo-Venetian Gothic style and constructed in 1874 in an asymmetrical form with polychromatic materials, pinnacles, gables and stained glass windows. The building originally was used as a Courthouse, it was adapted into a library in 1967.The 172-foot pyramidal turret with clocks on all four sides once served as a fire watch tower with an alarm bell.

Instant Rehab 1 - Images: © Life Magazine
Instant Rehab 2 - Images: © Life Magazine

Instant Rehab

533-7 East 5th Street, Manhattan

In conjunction with Conrad Engineers, renovation of three Nineteenth century tenement buildings in the Lower East Side of Manhattan in 48 hours. A demonstration project funded by the Department of Housing & Urban Development to explore the application of prefabrication technology to deteriorated urban housing to reduce the costs of construction and eliminate relocation costs. Preassembled bathroom and kitchen units were fabricated on a pier in the East River of Manhattan, trucked to the site and stacked, one on top of another. Prefinished material was placed on scaffolding around the buildings. The tenants were temporarily housed in hotels and their furnishings placed in vans. Work was performed without interruption. After 48 hours the tenants returned to their completely renovated homes.

45 King Street

45 King Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a Federal townhouse in the Charlton-King-Vandam Historic District including the garden.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

18 West 10th Street

18 West 10th Street

Greenwich Village, Manhattan

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report. Conservation of the exterior and restoration, in conjunction with the decorator Robert Couturier, of the interiors of a two family townhouse back to its original one family configuration. Built in 1855 in an Italianate Style with a brick and brownstone facade, the townhouse is in the Greenwich Village Historic District.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

434 Hudson Street

434 Hudson Street

Greenwich Village, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a house in the Greenwich Village Historic District. Part of a row of six brick houses, each four stories high and constructed in 1847 in a vernacular version of the late Greek Revival Style. 434 Hudson Street maintains its original storefront.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

451 Hudson Street

451 Hudson Street

Greenwich Village, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interiors of an 1827 Federal Townhouse with a Greek Revival addition in the Greenwich Village Historic District.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

304 Bleecker Street

304 Bleecker Street

Greenwich Village, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior, addition of a set back penthouse addition, restoration of the storefronts, removal of the fire escape and upgrading of the residential units of a four story dwelling in the Greenwich Village Historic District. Built in 1829 as part of a row of four three-story dwellings with ground floor stores, the fourth floor was added in the late nineteenth century.

Landmarks Preservation Commission.

22 Greenwich Avenue

22 Greenwich Avenue

Greenwich Village, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and conversion of the interior of a three story commercial building in the Greenwich Village Historic District into a one family home and store. Built in 1839 and remodeled at the beginning of the 20th century into its present appearance.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

23 8th Avenue

23 8th Avenue

Greenwich Village, Manhattan

Restoration of the interiors and the addition of a set back fourth floor of a three-story townhouse in the Greenwich Village Historic District. Designed in a Transitional Style between the Federal and Greek Revival Styles, it was constructed in 1840 with a brick facade as a part of a row of townhouses.

22 West 12th Street

22 West 12th Street

Greenwich Village, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interiors of a four-story and basement townhouse in the Greenwich Village Historic District. Designed in a Transitional Style between the Greek Revival and Italianate Styles, it was constructed in 1846 with a brownstone facade as a part of a pair of townhouses which included 20 West 12th Street.

232 West 15th Street

232 West 15th Street

Chelsea, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and renovation of the interior of a Greek Revival townhouse in Chelsea including the installation of a 26′ long by 8 foot deep swimming pool in the Basement level with a two story high ceiling.

west village

403-4 West Street / 170 Charles St

403-4 West Street / 170 Charles St

Far West Village, Manhattan

Department of Buildings approval and reconfiguration of a photographer’s studio overlooking the Hudson River including enlargement. Built in 1852 by Ebenezer H. Pray as two dwellings with stores below, the houses were combined into a storage warehouse and converted in 1890 into a livery stable. In 1923 the building was converted into a garage and in 1939 the ground floor was converted into a tire repair shop with the upper floors as tire storage. In the 1990’s, the upper floors converted to a residence, the facades altered and the windows elongated and combined.

kips bay / gramercy park

237-249 East 32nd Street

237-249 East 32nd Street

Kips Bay, Manhattan

Restoration and conservation of seven Greek Revival Style townhouses constructed in the 1870s including interiors, exteriors and gardens.

129 East 17th Street

129 East 17th Street

Gramercy Park, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of five-story apartment house in the Gramercy Park Historic District. Designed by Napolean LeBrun, Architect, in a French Gothic Style and constructed in 1879 with a red brick and brownstone facade, it is the oldest apartment house in New York.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

DeGrove House

DeGrove House

149-51 East 18th Street, Gramercy Park, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of two four-story townhouses in the Gramercy Park Historic District. Designed by in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1892 with a brownstone facade.

Landmarks Preservation Commission and Historic Investment Tax Credit approvals.

midtown

Chrysler Building - Lobby Photo: Tishman Speyer
Chrysler Observatory

Chrysler Building

405 Lexington Avenue, Manhattan

Research, investigation and preparation of an Historic Structure Report of the Chrysler Building lobby which determined the original configuration, lighting systems and missing elements as initially designed by William Van Alen in 1928. The report lead to the designation of the lobby as an individual New York City landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission and averted a proposed modernization.

Research and investigation to determine the original design and layout of the Chrysler Building Observatory with the intent of re-opening it to the public.

Cartier
Cartier Interior

Cartier

653 Fifth Avenue, Manhattan

Preparation of an analysis, drawings and specifications for the reinstatement of the principal rooms as they existed in the first part of the 20th century. Designed by Robert W. Gibson and C.P.H. Gilbert. Architects, in a neo-Renaissance Style and built in 1905 with a marble and stone facade for Morton Freeman Plant. The house was bought by Cartier in 1917. William Welles Bosworth, Architect, reconfigured the interior and installed paneled selling rooms on the first and second floors.

The Power Station
The Power Station - Interior image © Avatar Studios

The Power Station

441 West 53rd Street, Manhattan

Conversion of a Consolidated Edison Power Station into a recording studio complex including the installation of wood-lined acoustical recording studios.

upper east side

12-16 East 62nd Street

12-16 East 62nd Street

Manhattan

Restoration and conservation of the exteriors and interiors of three six-story townhouses in the Upper East Side Historic District including the addition of set-back penthouses at #12 & #16. Originally designed by Breen & Nason, Architects, as a row of eight townhouses in a neo-Renaissance Style and constructed in 1879 with brownstone facades. Completely reconfigured in 1916 by Harry Allen Jacobs, Architect, in a neo-French Classic style with limestone facades.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval and Historic Investment Tax Credit.

18 East 62nd Street

18 East 62nd Street

Manhattan

Restoration and conservation of the exterior and interior of a five-story townhouse in the Upper East Side Historic District. Originally designed by Breen & Nason, Architects, as a row of eight townhouses in a neo-Renaissance Style and constructed in 1879 with a brownstone facade. The lower three floors were reconfigured in 1903 by Henry Pelton, Architect, with the addition of a loggia with Doric columns and a iron railing on the third floor.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval and Historic Investment Tax Credit.

  • Photograph
  • 1940s View - photo courtesy of the City of NY
6 Henderson Place

6 Henderson Place

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interiors of a Queen Anne Style townhouse in the Henderson Place Historic District. Designed by Lamb & Rich, Architects, and built in 1881. Henderson Place consists of quaint townhouses designed with characteristics of the Elizabethan manor house combined with Flemish and classic detail, built at one time and retaining much of their picturesque charm and original character of the eighteen-eighties. 6 Henderson Street is located at the corner of the mews street.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

121 East 65th Street

121 East 65th Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a four-story townhouse in the Upper East Side Historic District. Designed by Welles Bosworth & E.E. Piderson, Architects, in a neo-Federal Style and constructed in 1922 in brick with stone trim.

720 Park Avenue

720 Park Avenue

Manhattan

In conjunction with Mark Hampton, interior decorator, conservation and renovation of a 12 room, full floor, terraced apartment as originally designed by Rosario Candela in 1928.

45 East 74th Street

45 East 74th Street

Manhattan

Design and construction of a new four-story and basement townhouse with a set-back fifth floor in the Upper East Side Historic District. The new town house replaced a 19th century townhouse which had been awkwardly renovated in 1957 including the removal of the 19th century stoop and facade.

American Irish Historical Society

American Irish Historical Society

991 Fifth Avenue, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior, interior and furnishings of the five and one-half story and basement American Irish Historical Society Headquarters including an investigation of the history of the building.

Designed by Turner and Lillian, Architects, in a Beaux Arts Style and constructed in 1900 with a red brick and limestone trim facade and a slate mansard roof. In 1901, the noted architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler called the house “exemplary”. In 1906 the second owner, David Crawford Clark, commissioned Ogden Codman, Jr., the celebrated interior designer, architect and author, to decorate and reconfigure the interiors including the installation of a classically-inspired Entrance Hall and Stair Hall.

Conservation, repair and cleaning of the exterior, finish analysis of the interior and reinstatement of original finishes in the important public rooms, furniture inventory and identification of their origin in relationship to the building and adaptation of secondary areas for the use by the Society. Preparation of an Historic Property Report.
The building has been owned by the American Irish Historical Society since 1940.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

One East End Avenue

One East End Avenue

Manhattan

Reconstruction of a 1929 ten room apartment after extensive fire damage, Conservation and restoration of the original details. One East End Avenue was designed by Pennington & Lewis and constructed in 1929.

237 East 77th Street

237 East 77th Street

Manhattan

Restoration and installation of new interiors in a 20th century carriage house for the bachelor grandson of the original owner when it was used in conjunction with a large townhouse off Fifth Avenue and subsequent reconfiguration for a noted photographer.

28 East 72nd Street

28 East 72nd Street - The Waldo Mansion

Upper East Side, Manhattan

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval for the conservation and restoration of the limestone exterior, the reinstatement of the balustrade above the fourth floor, the fifth floor mansard roof and the original elaborate dormers of an elegant five story townhouse in the Upper East Side Historic District.

Gertrude R. Waldo built this townhouse in conjunction with the neighboring house to the east on the corner of Madison Avenue and East 72nd Street. It was designed by Kimball & Thompson, Architects, in a neo-French Renaissance (Châteauesque) Style and constructed in 1897.

On the entrance level, there is a round-arched entrance with an adjacent round-arched window giving the impression of an arcade. The facade of the mansion is dominated by a projecting curved bay at the second and third stories surmounted by a balustrade. Both stories contain triple square headed windows. Beneath the fourth floor windows are friezes with richly enframed cartouches. A tall limestone clad chimney continues a composition influenced by the châteaux of the Loire Valley. Although the Waldo Mansion is modeled on French 16th century châteaux, its reduced scale and urban setting result in a characteristically late 19th century American architectural creation.

Removed in 1954, the fourth floor originally was surmounted by a limestone balustrade in front of a fifth floor composed of a steep, sloping, slate-covered mansard roof with a great two-tiered limestone dormer flanked by two highly detailed dormers.

upper west side

The Eldorado Lobby

The Eldorado Lobby

300 Central Park, West Manhattan

The Eldorado was designed by Emery Roth in an Art Deco Style and constructed in 1931.

Historical and archaeological investigation followed by a conservation of the finishes of the Eldorado lobby.

24 West 70th Street

24 West 70th Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a four-story townhouse in the Upper West Side Historic District. Designed by Thom & Wilson, Architects, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1892 with a brownstone facade as part of a row of four townhouses.

314 West 71st Street

314 West 71st Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a three-story and basement townhouse in the West 71st Street Historic District on a cul-de-sac. Designed by John C. Burne, Architect, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1893 with an ashlar masonry facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of six townhouses.

322 West 71st Street

322 West 71st Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a three-story and basement townhouse in the West 71st Street Historic District on a cul-de-sac. Designed by Arthur J. Horgan, Architect, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1894 with a brownstone facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of three townhouses.

101 Central Park West

101 Central Park West

Manhattan

Conservation and restoration of a 10 room 1929 apartment for a college president at 101 Central Park West. Designed by Schwartz & Gross in a Neo-Renaissance Style and constructed in 1929.

45 West 75th Street

45 West 75th Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a four-story and basement townhouse in the Upper West Side – Central Park WestHistoric District. Designed by George M. Walgrove, Architect, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1890 with a brownstone facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of eight townhouses.

121 & 131 West 78th

121 & 131 West 78th

Upper West Side, Manhattan

Conservation of the exteriors and restoration of the interiors of two three-story and basement townhouses in the Upper West Side Historic District. Designed by Rafael Gustavino, Architect, in a Moorish Revival Style, inside and out, and constructed in 1885 with brick, stone, terra-cotta and ironwork facades as part of a row of six townhouses.

82 Riverside Drive

82 Riverside Drive

Upper West Side, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior, restoration of the interior and conversion back to a one family house of a five-story townhouse in the Riverside Drive-West 80th-81st Street Historic District. Designed by Clarence True, Architect, in an Elizabethan Renaissance Revival Style, and constructed with a limestone facade in 1897 as part of a row of seven townhouses.

140 West 88th Street

140 West 88th Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a three-story and basement townhouse in the Upper West Side Historic District. Originally a one family house, conversion from a rooming house to a two family house.

Designed by Neville & Bagge, Architect, in a Renaissance Revival Style and constructed in 1894 with a brownstone facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of four townhouses.

151 West 88th Street

151 West 88th Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a three-story and basement townhouse in the Upper West Side Historic District. Originally a one family house, conversion from a rooming house to a two family house.

Designed by McDowell & Henry, Architect, Builders & Developers, in a Renaissance Revival Style with Romanesque Revival elements and constructed in 1890 with a sandstone facade and a metal cornice as part of a row of six townhouses.

336 Central Park West

336 Central Park West

Manhattan

Conservation and restoration of a 1928 ten room apartment. 336 Central Park West was designed by Schwartz & Gross in an Art Deco Style with Egyptian-inspired elements and constructed in 1928.

Bailey Residence

Bailey Residence

10 St. Nicholas Place, Manhattan

Consultation services for the conservation of the Bailey Residence. Individually designated by the Landmark Preservation Commission, the 1887 Bailey Residence was built in 1887 for James Anthony Bailey, partner in the famed Barnum & Bailey Circus. This Romanesque Revival house was designed by Samuel B. Reed, Architect. It is one of the last free standing houses in Manhattan. The remarkably intact exterior and interior are being conserved.

brooklyn

46 Sidney Place

46 Sidney Place

Brooklyn Heights

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of an 1842 Federal Style three-story and basement townhouse in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District.

42 So. Portland Avenue

42 So. Portland Avenue

Fort Greene, Brooklyn

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of an 1864 Italianate Style three-story and basement townhouse in the Fort Greene Historic District. Built by Lawrence Kane as part of a row of six townhouses with brownstone facades and ornamentation.

68 State Street

68 State Street

Brooklyn Heights

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a 19th century three-story and basement townhouse in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District.

138 State Street

138 State Street

Brooklyn Heights

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a 19th century three-story and basement one family townhouse in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District.

20 Willow Street

20 Willow Street

Brooklyn Heights

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a 19th century three-story and basement townhouse in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District.

Francis M. Minor Children's House
Francis M. Minor Gate

Francis M. Minor Children's House

Brooklyn Botanical Garden

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of the Brooklyn Botanical Garden Children’s House adjacent to the Children’s Garden. Designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White in 1917 to serve as an auxiliary building to the Children’s Garden, where each child planned, planted, tended and harvested his or her own vegetables in an individual plot.

Past a wood trellis entry gate, the building contains a front entry porch, a classroom for rainy day instructions, flower arranging and cooking demonstrations, a tool room for storage of children’s tools, a cooking pantry, a locker room and a rear assembly porch.

A typical planting day consisted of the smallest child riding to the Garden House in a wheelbarrow. As the children approached the House, a flag would be raised and the children would enter through the trellis gate and go to their garden plots where they would find their tools laid out.

  • historical image 1
  • historical image 2
139 Plymouth Street

139 Plymouth Street

Brooklyn, New York

Conservation of the entrance and lobby of the four and six story 211,000 square foot E.W. Bliss Company machine works building. Designed by J. Irving Howard and William Tubby and constructed in heavy mill construction in stages from 1879 to 1900 in the DUMBO Historic District of the Brooklyn waterfront.

30 Washington Street

30 Washington Street

Brooklyn, New York

Preparation of a National Register application confirming a contributing building and obtaining an Historic Investment Tax Credit for a 90,000sf seven story factory building being converted to residential use in the DUMBO Historic District of the Brooklyn waterfront.

Designed by Benjamin Finkensieper, Architect for Robert Gair, in an American Round Arch style and constructed with a brick facade with stone lintels and sills, cast-iron tie rods and a pressed metal cornice in 1887.

riverdale & queens

English neo-Gothic House

English neo-Gothic House

New York

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior, including the reinstatement of the matching carriage house and the Gothic Style library, of an English neo-Gothic house in New York State overlooking the Hudson River. Constructed in cut granite stone in 1863 for a prominent 19th century industrialist.

Lewis H. Latimer House

Lewis H. Latimer House

Flushing, New York

Conservation, restoration and adaptation into a museum of the 1887 Queen Anne style Lewis H. Latimer House for the City of New York. Former home of the noted African-American inventor, Lewis Howard Latimer and an individually designated landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Lewis Howard Latimer invented an improved production for light bulb filaments and an improved toilet system for railroad cars. He married Gerald F. Norman, the first black hired as a high school teacher in the New York City public school system.

westchester co.

Woodcliff

Woodcliff

Irvington-on-Hudson, New York

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report for Woodcliff, a two and one-half story brick neo-Classical house probably built at the end of the 18th century and altered, in 1865, into a Gothic Revival Style.

  • Early View
Ingleside

Ingleside

Dobbs Ferry, New York

For the County of Westchester, historical research and a Historic Structure Report including mechanical and structural analyses and recommendations for stabilization, conservation and continuing maintenance of Ingleside in Dobbs Ferry, New York. Overlooking the Hudson River, it was built in 1854 by Edwin B. Strange, a silk importer. Ingleside was designed in a Gothic Revival style by Alexander Jackson Davis, the pre-eminent American architect of picturesque villas with Gothic revival detailing.

Images courtesy of the Metropolitan Museum of Art & Columbia University.

  • Another Early View
Ossining New York

Squire House (Highland Cottage)

Ossining New York

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report for the Westchester Preservation League of the picturesque Squire House (Highland Cottage) in Ossining (formerly Sing Sing), NY. Squire House was designed by S. Marvin McCord, Architect in a highly eclectic asymmetrical design with historical allusion to medieval precedents. Built for Henry J. Baker 1872, it was the first poured-in-place concrete house in Westchester County.

The June Farm

The June Farm

North Salem, New York

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report, analysis of the period furnishings and the identification and determination of the location of the outbuildings of the June Farm. Constructed in a Greek Revival style in 1846 by John J. June, a partner in the June, Titus & Angevine Circus.

Cudner-Hyatt House

Cudner-Hyatt House

Scarsdale, New York

Conservation of the exterior, interior and adaptation as a museum for the Scarsdale Historical Society of the Cudner-Hyatt House. The original building was built in 1734 and 1754 and raised to two stories in 1836.

Lyndhurst

Lyndhurst

Tarrytown, New York

Conservation and adaptation of the 1865/1880 Carriage House/Stable Complex into a Visitors Orientation Center, carriage display and catering facility, construction of a new Service Building using precedents found at the Wagon Shed to house the relocated Carpentry Shop and documentation of the free-standing 1894 Bowling Alley and the 1911 Swimming Pool Buildings in a Historic American Buildings Survey format.

Lyndhurst, a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, is a 19th century estate overlooking the Hudson River shaped by the Paulding, Merritt and Gould families, between 1838 and 1961. The main house and the Carriage House Stable were designed by Alexander Jackson Davis, one of America’s most influential architects, in a Gothic Style set in picturesque landscape with numerous outbuildings.

Mt. Zion Meeting House

Mt. Zion Meeting House

Somers, New York

Stabilization, conservation and placement on the National Register of Historic Places of the Mt. Zion Meeting House in Somers, New York. Initially constructed by Micajah Wright, a local carpenter and farmer, in 1794 in a vernacular Federal Style. A second story was added and the building overlaid with Greek Revival Style detailing in the 19th century. A gallery overlooks the pulpit on three sides.

The Mt. Zion Meeting House is the oldest Methodist Meeting House in Westchester County. Its simplicity is reflective of traditional Methodist buildings as mandated by Bishop Francis Asbury who proclaimed, “let all our chapels be built plain and decent, but no more expensive than is absolutely unavoidable”. The original setting, on top of a hill surrounded on three sides by gravestones dating back to 1797, is maintained.

  • interior view
The Stone House

The Stone House

Hastings-on-Hudson, New York

Conservation, restoration and analysis of the exterior and interior of a Gothic Revival 19th century stone house with sandstone trim overlooking the Hudson River. Built originally for David Dudley Field II, a prominent New York lawyer responsible for the Code of Law for Civil & Criminal Procedure and brother of Cyrus Field, crator of the Atlantic Cable.

putnam & columbia co.

Alfheim Lodge

Alfheim Lodge

Lake Valhalla, Cold Spring, New York

In the summer of 2013, Joseph Pell Lombardi commenced reconstruction of Alfheim Lodge at Lake Valhalla. With its buttressed fieldstone and half-log walls, multi-color asphalt shingles, swooping peaked roofs, knotty pine interiors, awnings and small-paned steel and wood windows, Alfheim Lodge is characteristic of the Storybook Style prevalent in the Lake Valhalla community.

Haldane House

Haldane House

Cold Spring-on-Hudson, New York

Conservation of the exterior and interior of the third quarter of the 19th century Haldane House in Cold Spring-on-Hudson, NY as constructed by James H. Haldane. Haldane was in the iron business with his brother representing the Cold Spring Foundry.

Glenaylie
Pre-Revolutionary War farmhouse on the Hubbard Estate
Pre-Revolutionary War Sherwood House in Yonkers, NY - Another example of a tenant farmhouse on the Philipse Manor

Glenaylie & Pre-Revolutionary War Farmhouse

Cold Spring, New York

Research and on-site investigation to determine the date, original appearance and configuration of Glenaylie, a 1905 Dutch Revival house and a Pre-Revolutionary War farmhouse on the Hubbard Estate.

Glenaylie was built in 1905 by Dr. & Mrs. Campbell.

The Pre-Revolutionary War farmhouse was built by a tenant farmer on land leased from Frederick Philipse the owner of a vast manor stretching form Spuyten Duyvil to the Croton River.

Beaver Hall

Beaver Hall

Stuyvesant, New York

Research and on-site investigation to determine the date, original appearance and configuration of a four-over-four Georgian House built on land directly on the Hudson River in 1799 by Henry Van Schaack.

nantucket

George C. Gardner House

George C. Gardner House

141 Main Street, Nantucket, MA

Preparation of drawings and specifications for the conservation of the exterior and interior of an 1830 Greek Revival house with Federal Style elements on Main Street on Natucket Island.

Richard Gardner III House

Richard Gardner III House

32 West Chester Street Nantucket, MA

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report and drawings and processing of a Conservation Easement donation of the Richard Gardner III House, the second or third oldest house in Nantucket including an investigation of the early houses of Nantucket to determine similarities of features for dating purposes. The house was built between 1722 and 1724 by Richard Garner, Jr. for his son Richard Gardner 3rd, a whaling captain who was lost at sea.

maryland

The Octagon

The Octagon

Mt. Washington Maryland

Preparation of a Historic Structure Report for The Octagon in the suburbs of Baltimore, Maryland.

The Octagon was designed in an Italianate Style by Thomas Dixon, Architect in the octagonal shape advocated by Orson Squire Fowler in his book, “The Octagon House, A Home For All”. It was built in 1855 and used first as the Mount Washington Female College and subsequently as Mount Saint Agnes Academy.

  • Current View

florida

Ocean Beach House

Ocean Beach House

Design of an occasional residence directly on the ocean in a tropical climate.