American Irish Historical Society
991 Fifth Avenue, Manhattan
Conservation of the exterior, interior and furnishings of the five and one-half story and basement American Irish Historical Society Headquarters including an investigation of the history of the building.
Designed by Turner and Lillian, Architects, in a Beaux Arts Style and constructed in 1900 with a red brick and limestone trim facade and a slate mansard roof. In 1901, the noted architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler called the house “exemplary”. In 1906 the second owner, David Crawford Clark, commissioned Ogden Codman, Jr., the celebrated interior designer, architect and author, to decorate and reconfigure the interiors including the installation of a classically-inspired Entrance Hall and Stair Hall.
Conservation, repair and cleaning of the exterior, finish analysis of the interior and reinstatement of original finishes in the important public rooms, furniture inventory and identification of their origin in relationship to the building and adaptation of secondary areas for the use by the Society. Preparation of an Historic Property Report.
The building has been owned by the American Irish Historical Society since 1940.
Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.