403-4 West Street / 170 Charles St
Far West Village, Manhattan
Department of Buildings approval and reconfiguration of a photographer’s studio overlooking the Hudson River including enlargement. Built in 1852 by Ebenezer H. Pray as two dwellings with stores below, the houses were combined into a storage warehouse and converted in 1890 into a livery stable. In 1923 the building was converted into a garage and in 1939 the ground floor was converted into a tire repair shop with the upper floors as tire storage. In the 1990’s, the upper floors converted to a residence, the facades altered and the windows elongated and combined.