Conservation Work & Houses

upper east side

12-16 East 62nd Street

12-16 East 62nd Street

Manhattan

Restoration and conservation of the exteriors and interiors of three six-story townhouses in the Upper East Side Historic District including the addition of set-back penthouses at #12 & #16. Originally designed by Breen & Nason, Architects, as a row of eight townhouses in a neo-Renaissance Style and constructed in 1879 with brownstone facades. Completely reconfigured in 1916 by Harry Allen Jacobs, Architect, in a neo-French Classic style with limestone facades.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval and Historic Investment Tax Credit.

18 East 62nd Street

18 East 62nd Street

Manhattan

Restoration and conservation of the exterior and interior of a five-story townhouse in the Upper East Side Historic District. Originally designed by Breen & Nason, Architects, as a row of eight townhouses in a neo-Renaissance Style and constructed in 1879 with a brownstone facade. The lower three floors were reconfigured in 1903 by Henry Pelton, Architect, with the addition of a loggia with Doric columns and a iron railing on the third floor.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval and Historic Investment Tax Credit.

  • Photograph
  • 1940s View - photo courtesy of the City of NY
6 Henderson Place

6 Henderson Place

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interiors of a Queen Anne Style townhouse in the Henderson Place Historic District. Designed by Lamb & Rich, Architects, and built in 1881. Henderson Place consists of quaint townhouses designed with characteristics of the Elizabethan manor house combined with Flemish and classic detail, built at one time and retaining much of their picturesque charm and original character of the eighteen-eighties. 6 Henderson Street is located at the corner of the mews street.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

121 East 65th Street

121 East 65th Street

Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior and restoration of the interior of a four-story townhouse in the Upper East Side Historic District. Designed by Welles Bosworth & E.E. Piderson, Architects, in a neo-Federal Style and constructed in 1922 in brick with stone trim.

720 Park Avenue

720 Park Avenue

Manhattan

In conjunction with Mark Hampton, interior decorator, conservation and renovation of a 12 room, full floor, terraced apartment as originally designed by Rosario Candela in 1928.

45 East 74th Street

45 East 74th Street

Manhattan

Design and construction of a new four-story and basement townhouse with a set-back fifth floor in the Upper East Side Historic District. The new town house replaced a 19th century townhouse which had been awkwardly renovated in 1957 including the removal of the 19th century stoop and facade.

American Irish Historical Society

American Irish Historical Society

991 Fifth Avenue, Manhattan

Conservation of the exterior, interior and furnishings of the five and one-half story and basement American Irish Historical Society Headquarters including an investigation of the history of the building.

Designed by Turner and Lillian, Architects, in a Beaux Arts Style and constructed in 1900 with a red brick and limestone trim facade and a slate mansard roof. In 1901, the noted architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler called the house “exemplary”. In 1906 the second owner, David Crawford Clark, commissioned Ogden Codman, Jr., the celebrated interior designer, architect and author, to decorate and reconfigure the interiors including the installation of a classically-inspired Entrance Hall and Stair Hall.

Conservation, repair and cleaning of the exterior, finish analysis of the interior and reinstatement of original finishes in the important public rooms, furniture inventory and identification of their origin in relationship to the building and adaptation of secondary areas for the use by the Society. Preparation of an Historic Property Report.
The building has been owned by the American Irish Historical Society since 1940.

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval.

One East End Avenue

One East End Avenue

Manhattan

Reconstruction of a 1929 ten room apartment after extensive fire damage, Conservation and restoration of the original details. One East End Avenue was designed by Pennington & Lewis and constructed in 1929.

237 East 77th Street

237 East 77th Street

Manhattan

Restoration and installation of new interiors in a 20th century carriage house for the bachelor grandson of the original owner when it was used in conjunction with a large townhouse off Fifth Avenue and subsequent reconfiguration for a noted photographer.

28 East 72nd Street

28 East 72nd Street - The Waldo Mansion

Upper East Side, Manhattan

Landmarks Preservation Commission approval for the conservation and restoration of the limestone exterior, the reinstatement of the balustrade above the fourth floor, the fifth floor mansard roof and the original elaborate dormers of an elegant five story townhouse in the Upper East Side Historic District.

Gertrude R. Waldo built this townhouse in conjunction with the neighboring house to the east on the corner of Madison Avenue and East 72nd Street. It was designed by Kimball & Thompson, Architects, in a neo-French Renaissance (Châteauesque) Style and constructed in 1897.

On the entrance level, there is a round-arched entrance with an adjacent round-arched window giving the impression of an arcade. The facade of the mansion is dominated by a projecting curved bay at the second and third stories surmounted by a balustrade. Both stories contain triple square headed windows. Beneath the fourth floor windows are friezes with richly enframed cartouches. A tall limestone clad chimney continues a composition influenced by the châteaux of the Loire Valley. Although the Waldo Mansion is modeled on French 16th century châteaux, its reduced scale and urban setting result in a characteristically late 19th century American architectural creation.

Removed in 1954, the fourth floor originally was surmounted by a limestone balustrade in front of a fifth floor composed of a steep, sloping, slate-covered mansard roof with a great two-tiered limestone dormer flanked by two highly detailed dormers.