Burling Slip & South Street, South Street Seaport, Manhattan
The Schermerhorn Row block was built in 1812 as a single monumental complex of Federal style mercantile buildings. It is on an entire city block and had a uniform design fronting on four streets; it was New York’s earliest and largest entrepreneurial development.
The Schermerhorn Row remains as the largest and best preserved group of buildings of its type and the most intact waterfront structure from the early Republic. During the past two centuries changes altered the appearance of the unified block including, in 1955, the removal of the corner of Burling Slip and South Street.
In 1992, the Office of Joseph Pell Lombardi, Architect was commissioned by the South Street Seaport Museum and the New York State Maritime Museum to reconstruct the missing corner at Burling Slip and South Street for use as a Center for International Maritime History with an emphasis on early immigration at the Seaport and its link to European and Asian ports.
The project has not yet been realized.
Stabilization and conservation work on damage incurred October 29, 2012 by Hurricane Sandy at 130 Beekman Street, an assemblage of three early turn of the 19th century masonry mercantile buildings. Erected in 1827, 231 Water Street still features its fluted cast iron columns with palmetta capitals at the ground floor. Its pitched roof, narrow lot and Flemish bond make it a fine example of the Seaport’s “counting house” style, which originated in English seaport cities. The buildings were originally occupied by ship chandlers, sail makers and merchants.